Wednesday 24 August 2011

Please! Your Habits, Mentor!

Over the years, my encounters and journeys with various mentors have taught me some things to do and some things not to do.
My own journey as a mentor/father has allowed me to discover what I should do and model and what I shouldn't do and model.

Either way, as a mentor/father there are certain elements that allow you to influence and mould your mentee/child.
What I found over the years was that I am by no means perfect and definitely needed reminding about these fundamental actions and habits in my life and relationships wherever I am.

You see, its not the great big things we do that matter in the long run, its the basic elements we can habitually exercise in our dealings with those we mentor every day. Whether I am in business, ministry, a father, a friend, disciple, spouse or dealing with people, these fundamentals need to be part of my behaviour and personal make-up.

Even though as mentor/father you are not a failure if these things are not always there in your lives, but from my experience, they will affect the outcomes of your mentoring.
And definitely will affect how you feel about yourself. Your own self esteem as a mentor/father.
Developing mentee's is an outcome of what you live, how you relate, and what you instruct.

As a mentee on a journey, I never looked for perfection in a mentor/father but for some basics that would assist me in my own change of paradigms. Someone who could and would model and be a reference point for what it was that would be my own purpose and destiny.

Mentor/fathers are so important for the honing of the life skills necessary as a leader and successful individual. When we look around us in the professional and personal world, in politics and church, we can see the need for the deep shaping of character based on the right values and principles modelled by mentor/fathers par excellence.

Its easy to command, demand and instruct but another thing to invest and develop and guide a person to a fruitful and effective life, in every area.
The key here is the fundamental personal elements that can be modelled and passed onto them, shaping their paradigm and view of the world and their behaviour in interacting with others,
but if you cannot master these and infuse them into your behaviour and relationships – what will you be producing in your mentor mentee relationships?

  • What strengths or weaknesses are you likely modelling?
  • Do you exercise self-control in your habits?
  • How are your relationships? Friction? Don't get on with people? Inconsiderate?
  • Are you what you teach and instruct?
  • Do you try and impose a rigid standard or do you influence by being an example?

In the next posts we will look at these in more detail.
Til next time.



No comments: