Thursday 18 June 2009

Raising Fathers

"Son, don't raise him just as a son, but as a father".
The words reverberated through my soul that evening as I looked at my oldest son sleeping.
My concern, like any father I am sure was, will my son grow up to be all he is supposed to be. Each of my boys are such a blessing to my life, and as I stood looking at my son sleeping, I was so proud and so thrilled and so awed at the task of raising him right.
But with these words a new dimension faced me in my responsibility as a father. I needed to be a mentor too. I realised just getting him through school and into the world and out of my hair could not and would not cut it with these words of a definite new role in my life.
Do you k now what new roles do to you?
They shift your paradigm or your world view or how you see things.
I couldn't just raise children anymore but now I had to raise fathers. I had to mentor them to raise another generation. To invest in another generation. As a mentor-father, my actions, my decisions, my investment would influence those yet to be born.
What you do as a mentor-father is going to go beyond what you can see. Good or bad.
It's going to strengthen, inspire, liberate, heal, seal, stabilise those you cannot yet see.Or weaken, breakdown, demoralise, discourage those you cannot yet see.

Our actions as Mentor-fathers go far beyond the time we live in.

live with purpose today toward that need you to father them.

No comments: