Tuesday 30 June 2009

Change The Course

The challenge in my own life, was the need for me to apply what I was being led to learn.

In my own children's lives, I could see that unless I made a concerted choice to apply the principles of mentor-fathering, the "generational curse" of a lack of mentor-fathering would continue in my sons lives to their sons and their sons sons. What a disaster, if I were to teach this to others and yet have failed the most important people in my life - my sons.

I made a decision to change the course of the family tree, and begin to invest in them. I studied their personalities and character. I sought, on every occasion to impress upon them their way of doing things, their heart attitude toward things and their security as sons of God. As often as I could I would affirm, acknowledge and express my acceptance of them.

Being a young father myself, without a good model of a physical father, I certainly didn't get it right all the time, but I was determined that I would give them the best platform I could, from which they could have a better model or view of what a mentor-father would be.

It wasn't easy, I can tell you. But I had grace to keep pressing through the obstacles. Today, I proud of our sons (my wife and me). Not of what I have accomplished by any means, but by their depth of character to take what I have tried to impart and live it, successfully.

No comments: